What are Notices to Mariners?
Changes at sea happen continously. The Hydrographic Office monitors these changes and then publishes the corrections to it’s publications – it issues a Notice to Mariners. Notices to Mariners are corrections to charts and publications that are vital to safety at sea. The NtM gives mariners up-to-date information about the current situation as sea. It is important for all mariners to keep the latest editions of charts and publications.
The South African Navy issues a Notice to Mariners publication. This is a compilation of all South African chart and publication updates issued every month. The NtM has six sections:
- Explanatory Notes and Index
- SAN Notices to Mariners. Updates to Standard Navigational Charts
- South African Charts and HO Publications – New Charts/Editions
- Corrections to SAN HO Publications
- Corrections to SA List of Lights and Radio Services
- Reprints of Radio Navigational Warnings
The British Admiralty also issue Notices to Mariners.
For more information please browse the helpful links page